We’ve had a couple conversations since Monday… but I wanted to take a few minutes and “put pen to paper” so to speak. Nothing cleanses the heart like writing things down.
When I was 11 and you were 22, we didn’t have a lot in common… but even back that far, I remember that smile of yours… and your laugh. Both came so easily to you. I clearly remember your wedding day – “Save Me” written on the bottom of your shoes. I was surprised and honored when you & Donna chose me to be the godfather to Shannon. I think it was that choice that was key to you and I becoming such good friends. When I moved to NYC you & Donna welcomed me into your home and into the lives of your family on a regular basis. Many a weekend was spent in Hatfield… torturing Donna, Shannon & Megs… wrestling with Zac, & cracking you up. So many awesome memories….
- Zac dropping me like a sack of potatoes when he tackled me and inadvertently punched me in the nuts
- Pretending to fall asleep while Megs tried to tell a story & watching you laugh
- Tossing Donna in the air at any family party possible
- Getting in trouble for bringing beer to the fire hall so we had a refreshment while decorating… when the fire hall was strictly dry
- Stealing the keys from Donna and forcing her to listen to the one man band at the local bar
- Getting loaded on your front porch with our “campfire” (that was really just a citronella candle)
And soooo many more (note: I’m pretty sure those last 3 were all in one weekend… Donna is kind of a saint, huh?)
So while I can no longer see you… I will always feel you. You are a part of me… and those memories keep you alive in my heart & soul. I believe you know how much I truly love you… and that will never die. You are an amazing spirit and my life has been made all the better having known you.
I simply want to say thank you… Thank you for being my friend. Thank you for the 3 special people you helped bring into this world and raised with Donna. They too are amazing spirits that I am blessed to have in my life. Thank you for taking such good care of Donna… and thanks to Donna for taking such good care of you. The 2 of you have been role models for me as a couple, as parents, and as “good eggs” in general.
I will miss you… but I know you are with me now more than you could have ever been before… and I am excited to see how you visit me and influence me in my life… until the day I get to see you again.
All my love,